I’d like to introduce you to my Microwave Venison Curry recipe. It’s the time of year when you’ll wanna eat something wholesome, something hearty, something gamey and something to warm your cockles. Well this Microwave Venison Curry recipe does all of the above and probably more. It’s a variation of my microwave lamb curry recipe with the extra texture and fuller, meatier texture of venison. Venison just in case you did not know is the meat of the deer. What you may not have known is that venison can be the meat of any game animal. A game animal is one that is hunted rather than farmed. If you were to ask for venison in a Southern African restaurant you could be served antelope, impala, kudu, eland, gemsbok, springbok, blesbok or wild hog. Anywhere else in the world and you’ll probably just get plain old deer. In my case, I’m in Europe so I’ll be showing you how to cook the Bambi type microwave venison curry.
- A large, round, microwave safe, glass or Pyrex dish with a lid
- 1/2 kg of diced, boneless venison
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 and a 1/2 tbsp curry power
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- A small stick of cinnamon
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 3/4 cup of water
- Wash the venison in cold water and place in the dish
- Throw all of the ingredients except the water in with the venison and massage together with hands or stir in with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the venison to marinate in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour. Leaving it longer would make the taste even better.
- Remove from the fridge and stand for 15 minutes to take off the chill
- Put the dish in the microwave for 30 minutes and cook on full power.
- Stir in another 1/4 cup of water into the venison and put it back into the microwave for another 12 minutes on full power
- Taste the venison curry to check whether it’s tender. (It should kind of melt in your mouth). If it is still a little tough, return to the microwave on full power for 5 minutes and repeat the check until the meat is tender.
Microwave Venison Curry tastes delicious on a bed of plain white rice or with naan bread or poppadoms. Cook some cabbage as well to make sure you’re getting your five a day.
Microwave Venison Curry Tips
To give your microwave venison curry that melt in your mouth extra tenderness, try beating it with a meat tenderiser. A meat tenderiser is like a little hammer with spikes. If you don’t have one of those beat up the venison with your fists, a rolling pin or anything hard.
Select your microwave oven's power to get the correct timing
Total Cooking Time = 0 mins, 0 secs