Microwave Mulled Wine – “are you nuts?” I hear you say. No I’m not nuts – just a little tipsy after drinking a couple of these chest warming, thought provoking, Christmas beverages. Christmas is just around the corner so yes, you could easily buy mulled wine in the shops. But wouldn’t you want to make it yourself… at home… in your microwave? – It’ll taste better and it’s probably cold out. – So here’s what you do…
- 1 Pyrex / microwave safe 1 ltr jug
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 whole grated nutmeg / 1 tablespoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 orange (cut into 6 pieces)
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 shots of brandy
Select your microwave oven's power to get the correct timing
Total Cooking Time = 2 mins, 0 secs
- Enjoy a little glass of the red wine, then pour what's left from the bottle into the jug
- Gently squeeze the orange pieces into the jug and chuck peels in the jug
- Put all of the other ingredients into the jug except the brandy
- Put the jug in the microwave on full power for 2 minutes
- Remove the jug, spike it with brandy and stir.
To Serve Microwave mulled wine
Drink your microwave mulled wine at a warmish hottish temperature so you get to feel the sweet, spicy liquory vapours flow up through your nostrils with each sip. You can drink it from a normal mug but it'll look more presentable if you serve the mulled wine in a glass mug.
Microwave mulled wine Tips
Do not over-heat the mulled wine, and do not use old wine to make it. Do not use cheap, rancid wine that tastes so bad that you wouldn't drink it if you were already off your head. All of the above will have you pouring your mulled wine down the toilet and vowing never to drink the stuff ever again. For best results, use a decent red wine - you don't need a hundred dollar bottle, a fiver's worth will do and if you follow my guidelines, your mulled wine will have everyone beaming around the Christmas table.