My nephew was moving into his student digs at Reading University so I thought I’d give him a hands-on seminar on how to cook a microwave lamb curry in a hurry.
Away from occasional visits to lecture theatres, students are known for excessive partying, drinking and smoking. This leaves next to no time for eating, let alone preparing a good meal. Fortunately for my nephew, his student accommodation came kitted out with a shiny new kitchen with a microwave oven so I was able to pass on a gem of wisdom – How to cook Microwave Lamb Curry in a hurry.
This recipe is not only for students. If you love lamb or cannot resist a curry, then you’ll adore this recipe. Another plus point is that you’ll have your lamb curry cooked and on your plate quicker than you can call the local Indian curry house to make your order and have it delivered to your door.
- A large, round, microwave safe, glass or Pyrex dish with a lid
- 1/2 kg of diced, boneless lamb
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 and a 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 3/4 cup of water
Select your microwave oven's power to get the correct timing
Total Cooking Time = 57 mins, 0 secs
- Wash the lamb in cold water and place in the dish
- Throw all of the ingredients except the water in with the lamb and massage together with hands or stir in with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the lamb to marinate in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour. Leaving it longer would make the lamb curry taste even better.
- Remove the lamb from the fridge and stand for 15 minutes to take off the chill
- Put the dish containing the lamb curry into the microwave for 30 minutes and cook on full power.
- Stir in another 1/4 cup of water into the lamb and put it back into the microwave for another 12 minutes on full power
- Taste the lamb to check whether it's tender. (It should kind of melt in your mouth). If it is still a little tough, return to the microwave on full power for 5 minutes and repeat the check until the lamb is tender.
To Serve Lamb Curry in a Hurry
Microwave Lamb Curry in a Hurry tastes delicious on a bed of plain white rice or with naan bread or poppadoms.
Lamb Curry in a Hurry Tips
Put some extra potatoes in the dish with the lamb before you pop it in the microwave. Do this and you won't have to worry about cooking rice or finding some other carbs to eat with your lamb curry in a hurry.