Engagement rings can be cleaned at home with the help of your microwave. As well as engagement rings, this technique can also be used to clean other types of jewellery including necklaces, bracelets and earrings of platinum, gold, diamonds, gold-filled, brass, German (nickel) silver, and sterling silver, freshwater pearls, shell cameos and mother of pearl.
- A cereal bowl
- 1 piece aluminium foil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon or 1 tablet of dish detergent
- Cut a piece of aluminium foil and cover the bottom of the cereal bowl with it
- Heat 1 cup of water the microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour the heated water into the bowl
- Add the salt, baking soda and dish detergent or tablet to the hot water and stir until all is dissolved
- Place the jewellery into the solution and leave for 10 minutes
- Rinse the jewellery with cold water and dry with a soft cloth
- Discard the solution and repeat the process if you wish to clean another set of jewellery.
Once your done you’ll notice how your engagement ring or other jewellery piece sparkles like new.