Microwave Rice and Peas is the microwave version of the Jamaican favourite rice and peas dish. It’s very similar to cooking microwave plain rice, but with peas.
Now it’s important to remember, and I plead with you, that for this dish you MUST NEVER use the green, often frozen garden peas sold by manufacturers such as Bird’s Eye or Green Giant or the fresh green peas in a pod. When it comes to Jamaican Rice and Peas, “Peas that are green, should never be seen!” For this dish you need either black eyed peas, gungo / pigeon peas or kidney beans.
- Microwave safe glass or ceramic dish with lid
- 1 cup of rice per 3 servings
- 1 tin of peas (use either black eye peas, gungo/pigeon peas or kidney beans)
- Cold water on tap
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp of Cream of Coconut
Select your microwave oven's power to get the correct timing
Total Cooking Time = 15 mins, 0 secs
- Put the rice into the dish making sure the it only fills 1/3 of the dish. If there is more than 1/3, the reduce the amount of rice or use a bigger dish.
- Fill the dish of rice with cold tap water and swirl with two fingers to release the starch.The water will become a cloudy white.
- Pour the water out making sure you don't lose the rice
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the water becomes fairly clear
- Empty the entire contents of the tinned peas into the dish
- Cover the rice and peas with double it's height of cold tap water
- Add a pinch of salt and the cream of coconut. Additional enhancements such as thyme, rosemary, coconut butter or olive oil may be added at this step.
- Mix and put the lid on the dish
- Place the dish in the microwave at full power for up to 15 minutes
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve
To Serve Jamaican Microwave Rice and Peas
Microwave Jamaican rice and peas is a great accompaniment to saucy, Jamaican meat dishes such as curry goat, beef stew, brown stew chicken. I recommend to make a bed of rice and peas on the plate. Then to sit the meat in the rice and peas before pouring a couple of table spoons of gravy or sauce from the meat over it.
Jamaican Microwave Rice and Peas Tips
When cooking any microwave rice dish, you need to give the rice a proper rinsing to get rid of as much starch as possible. Too much starch in your Microwave Rice and Peas will cause the rice to get all gunky and horrible during the cooking process. If you would like to experience truly authentic Jamaican Rice and Peas and other delicious Jamaican dishes why not book a stay at the beautiful Terra Nova Villa in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. There you'll be catered for from breakfast through to your evening meal with menus at your request. Click here for more information.